The Desk Job
Every once in awhile I get an idea in my head that I later come to regret, even if just a little bit. Last year I bought a really nice desk for the studio, one that had the ability to be used sitting or standing as I wanted. At the time, I was a little concerned that it might be a bit too big, but since it was by far the sturdiest height-adjustable table I could find, I wanted to at least try it.
For the most part it was a great purchase, helped my back, worked as advertised, and I liked the way it looked. There was just one problem, it WAS too big, and I knew it was impacting what I was hearing to some extent. It also had a wrap around front edge made that playing the guitar in front of the laptop or iPad difficult at best. I didn’t know I was going to get so into the guitar again when I bought the desk, these things happen I guess 🙂
Anyway, it took me awhile to get the time and motivation to tackle a project as complex as cutting down my main studio desk, but I finally had the time this past week. The original plan was just to cut down the top that came with it to the right size, since it appeared to be solid oak. A quick email to the store I bought it from confirmed it was solid and not a veneer, easy enough.
I also needed to shorten a bunch of the metal supports that attach the top, since I wanted to bring the legs closer together as well. Going into the project it was the metal cutting that worried me the most, though luckily that actually went easier than I was expecting. A bit scary considering how much I paid for the desk (Hallie thinks I’m nuts), but not too hard once I got into it.
The real fun came when it was time to cut down the table top, and I discovered that it was just an oak veneer after all and not solid oak. Fuck. The veneer started to peel almost instantly when I cut it, which meant I had just ruined the top and needed to come up with an alternate plan.
After a couple days trying various woodworking shops and re-use building materials stores with no luck, I finally caved and bought a solid wood desk top from Ikea that I could cut down. I won’t go into the fiasco the trip to Ikea was (aren’t they always), but at least I had what I needed and was back on track.
With the new top cut down to the right size, the last step was to build another rack and shelf to mount underneath it for my external HD’s and the power supplies for all my gear. I had done this with the desk just after I got it, so I mainly just redid what I had created then. Worked great, looked fine, no need to alter the plan. 🙂
Paint, clear-coat, a bunch of screws and power tools, and before you know it everything was back together in the studio. Finally, the temp desk I was using was just not the same!
It ended up being more work than I was planning on thanks to the top being laminate, but I’m really happy with the way it turned out. Makes the studio feel a bit more open and brighter with the new light wood top. Sounds better in here too, without all those unneeded reflective surfaces getting in the way. I guess my only regret is not doing this right when I bought the desk!
Next step, wood floors! Sigh, it never ends….
Coming soon on the blog, I’ll review the new Maschine Studio I just got. Stay tuned!